A Corbeled Gallery work

Tuesday, November 01, 2005

The direction a toilet flushes

This post is a random musing, so do not read it if you are looking for something witty or clever. I will never post something that I learned from a book or heard from a professor, but came up with on my own. I may have verified it before posting. But copying something that I got out of a book would evade the purpose of posting these random musings.

Toilet water flushes clockwise on this side of the hemisphere, not because of the location on the planet as people believe, but because the jets in the toilet are pointed clockwise. If there were no jets, and the toilet was flushed, then the toilet would eventually beggin to flow clockwise, but it would take several minutes to flush. Thus, jets are added to push the water clockwise to encourage flushing. If the jets pointed the opposite direction, the toilet would flush just as successfully.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
.